Menu
2009 Ghost Winery Malbec

2009 Ghost Winery Malbec

$40.00

Call (800) 913-1118 for availability


Our old stone winery at Flora Springs is considered one of a handful of Napa Valley’s famous “Ghost Wineries.” Built in the 1800’s, it sat vacant for years after it’s two Scottish founders, the Rennie brothers, discouraged by a series of setbacks and bad breaks, abandoned the storied estate. Although it’s true that no one in our family has seen even a trace of a ghost without the help of spirits much stronger than wine, it’s best to have a flashlight handy once nighttime falls on the Flora Springs estate. With hooting owls and low flying bats even the slightest rustling of leaves can send a shiver down ones spine.

The aromatics of this wine are quite intense - exhibiting characteristics of dark cherries, sweet vanilla, chocolate, as well as hints of mint, sage and olive tapenade. The flavor profile echoes the same chocolate cherries, and vanilla, with added layers of cedar and cinnamon. This is a very big wine but has soft, rich tannins that are very lush for a malbec.

Label Design
Virginia based artist Wes Freed, best known for his art on the CD covers for Drive By Truckers, created a custom piece for this Ghost Winery label, as well as the 2008 Ghost Winery label.

All the Facts

Appellation:Napa Valley – Komes Ranch
Varietal:100% Malbec
Cases Produced:130
Aging:22 months in 82% French Oak & 18% American Oak. 73% new oak while the remaining 27% were once used barrels
Price:$40
Enjoyability:Drink now or cellar. Pull the cork between 2013 and 2021 for optimum enjoyment.

Recognized on NBC Today Show by Ray Isle of Food and Wine Magazine as 2010 top Halloween celebration wine.